Adult Volleyball League Rules
The objective of the City administered leagues shall be to promote and maintain amateur volleyball in Owensboro and Daviess County under conditions most favorable to the enjoyment of the game and to the development of good citizenship and a spirit of cooperation between the players, officials, spectators and team captains.
- League division names are Owensboro B League and Owensboro C League.
- Registrations must be at the Owensboro Parks & Recreation Department office before the deadline. Registration must be paid in full at this time. Late registrations will only be accepted with prior approval from the Recreation Supervisor, Brittni Klotzback and are subject to a $50 plus tax late fee. League registration fees will only be refunded if the team withdraws 2 days prior to the captains meeting.
- Registration fee for the season will be $150.00 per team, which is to cover all expenses incurred by the league. All teams go forward to the end of league tournament at no charge.
- Each team participating in the League shall appoint one representative who shall be responsible to the Parks & Recreation Department as concerns the receipt and distribution of schedules, and for any matter of general concern to the League. That representative’s name, address, phone number and e-mail must be registered with the Parks and Recreation Department. If a change in a team’s representative is made, the new team representative must notify the Parks & Recreation Department immediately.
- It is the responsibility of the team representative to contact their respective team members in the event of a match time change or of any other event of concern to their team. Only the team representative will be contacted by the Parks & Recreation Department concerning such changes.
- A team roster must be submitted prior to the first season match. All players who wish to participate in the league MUST have their names printed on the roster before the first match additions to the roster may be made up to the third match. All players participating in the League must have personally signed their respective team roster, including a waiver of liability, prior to playing in their first match.
- Players must participate in at least two regular season matches for them to be eligible to play in the post-season tournament.
- Rosters must be re-executed for each new League.
- Only one (1) official team roster will be allowed. Anyone not signing the official roster will not be eligible to play. Teams will not be allowed to submit more than one (1) roster.
- Each player may sign only one (1) roster for each new League. However, if a player has signed a roster but has not participated with that team in a match prior to the third scheduled match, that player may sign another team’s roster, prior to the third scheduled match for that new team, after first removing his/her name from the previous roster.
- Additions to team rosters after the third match will only be allowed due to injuries or a move of the player requiring the player to reside (NOT JUST WORK) more than twenty (20) miles from the Daviess County, Kentucky limits. Other scenarios may be approved by the League Coordinator and the Volleyball Advisory Group. However, even in the event an addition to the roster is allowed, Rule 2 above applies.
- All requests for changes to a roster after the third (3rd) scheduled match must be submitted by the team representative to the League Coordinator in writing prior to the effectiveness of the change. All requests must state the name(s) of the player(s) to be changed and the reason for request.
- Before each game the Referee must check ID’s of each player to make sure that all people that have shown up to play are listed on the team roster.
- Players must be at least eighteen (18) years of age. However, a player that is 16 or 17 may play with parental consent. Consent MUST be attached to the roster.
**Only 3 players that are 16 and/or 17 will be allowed on the court at the same time.
- A player must not be a member of another team’s roster on the same league.
- A team discovered to have an ineligible player will forfeit any game (and matches, if required) in which the ineligible player played.
- Any form of flagrant or unsportsmanlike conduct on the part of any player will result in the automatic suspension of the offending person(s) from the match. Any subsequent offense will result in suspension of the offending player(s) from the League for the remainder of the season and/or for any period thereafter that the Parks and Recreation Department might deem appropriate under the particular circumstances of the offense. “Flagrant or unsportsmanlike conduct” shall be construed (in the sole opinion of the official in charge) to include, but not be limited to, verbal abuse toward, or personal or physical contact or attempted contact with, any official or their player. Any person who is ejected twice during a season will automatically be disqualified for future League play.
- The Volleyball Official will use a ‘Yellow Card, Red Card’ system with regards to the above rule (#5). The Yellow card will be first warning. The Red Card is second, and final warning. On receiving a Red card the player will be ejected from that game and must leave the gymnasium. Two Red Cards in one season will result in disqualification from any future leagues.
GENERAL RULES FOR VOLLEYBALL LEAGUE
- All team representatives are responsible for assuring that all of their team’s members know and abide by the rules set forth herein, which shall apply if different from the rules and regulations of the USA Volleyball Association. If there is any question concerning rules or their interpretation, consultation shall be made to the Rulebook published by the USA Volleyball. Thereafter, if a rule interpretation is required, a request may be made to the official in charge of the match. If no rule interpretation is given or if a rule interpretation is unknown to the official, a request shall be made to the Parks and Recreation Department.
- The team representative is the only player who may address the referee during match play concerning any rule or interpretation. Violation of this rule will result in a team warning for the first offense and either a point or side-out for the second and subsequent offenses, depending on whether the violating team is serving or receiving serve.
- Decisions based on the judgment of the referee are final and not subject to protest. However, protests will be allowed as concerns rules interpretation. In the event of a protest being filed, play will stop; the rulebook will be consulted and a decision rendered in consultation with the official and the captains of both teams. However, the official’s interpretation during such consultation shall be final.
- The “Play over” option is available to the referee at all times.
- Representative of teams about to play will meet with the official prior to the match to determine who will serve first and which court each team will occupy.
- A game is won when either team scores a two-point (2) lead with twenty-five (25) for “B” league and twenty-one (21) for “C” league or more rally points (a point will be scored on each serve, regardless of which team serves).
- All matches are played on a best of two (2) out of three (3) basis. If a third game is necessary (neither team has won both of the first two games), that third game will be played rally point to twenty-one (21) “B” league and fifteen (15) “C” league, win by 2.
- All matches are scheduled on a time basis. If, at the end of that time period, less than two (2) games have been completed, the match winner will be determined by total points scored by the respective teams in the two (2) games played at the end of the time limit. However, if two (2) games have been completed and a third (3rd) game is necessary (neither team has won two (2) games and the time limit has not expired), the third (3rd) game will be played to its completion on a rally point basis, as stated above in section 8.
- League standings will be determined by each team’s win/loss record. Any ties will be broken by Head-To Head, Least Points Allowed (first 2/3 games), Most Points Scored (first 2/3 games), Flip of a Coin.
- B and C League: A full team shall consist of 6 players and no less than 4 players. A team must have a male to female ratio of at least 2:1. Teams unable to play the required number of players will not be deducted points begin winter 2012. Teams are reminded that it is a 6 man league, and that the USA Volleyball Rules for a 6 man team shall apply at all teams. Teams are encouraged to field 6 players whenever possible.
- There is a minimum of two (2) females required on the court at all times for the B and C leagues.
- Three players must play the front row at all times.
- Teams will exchange courts after each game.
- The team not serving first in the first game serves first in the second game. For the deciding game, the team representative not calling the toss for the first game shall call the toss for the third game to determine service or side advantage.
- Each team shall have two (2) time-outs per game, consisting of no more than thirty (30) seconds each in length. Time-outs must be requested during a dead ball. If a time-out is called when a team has used their allotted time-outs for the particular game, a point will be awarded to the other team, regardless of outcome. The time clock will continue running during any time-out called.
- A match will start at the time scheduled, or as soon as the previously scheduled match is completed. There is NO GRACE PERIOD.
- Each team must rotate prior to each serving rotation, including a team’s first serve following a side out. Players may legally play a served ball.
- Each team will have a warm up of 3 min. of non-shared court time prior to the match.
- Teams should play all games as scheduled. If a team knows in advance that it will not have enough players they must contact the League Coordinator, Brittni Klotzback at 270-687-8710 no less than 24 hours in advance to ensure rescheduling of game. No more than 2 games per team will be rescheduled per season. Games will be reschedule according to availability of gym and opposing team.
- If the ceiling or any other obstruction is hit over non-playable (out of bounds) areas (in the sole opinion of the referee), the ball is considered dead.
- If the ceiling or any other obstruction is hit over a playable area, except any obstruction directly over the plane of the net, and the ball does not pass over the net, the team that caused the ball to hit the ceiling may continue to play the ball if they have not used up their three (3) hits per side.
The Parks & Recreation Department reserves the sole right to reschedule any games that cannot be played when originally scheduled for reasons beyond the control of the Parks & Recreation Department. Every effort will be made to give the team affected as much advance notice of such rescheduled matches as possible.
- Please be respectful and help Owensboro Parks & Recreation conduct an excellent league. Observe all rules and help maintain a clean facility.
- No children allowed at any time without appropriate adult supervision (i.e. an adult that is not playing at the time of supervision). All supervised children must remain in the gym at all times.
- Absolutely no alcohol on OPRD property.
- Smoking at all city parks, grounds and facilities is prohibited. Please ask team members to not smoke in or around the facility.
|Owensboro Parks and Recreation Administrative Center
1530 McJohnson Avenue
Owensboro, KY 42303Phone: (270) 687-8700
Fax: (270) 687-8708
Open Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.